Are your pesky love handles stopping you from getting into your waist-snatching jeans, or fitting into the figure-hugging top you couldn’t help getting your hands on? Well, if that’s the case, you might be in for a surprise because we have just the thing for you!
The days of spending hundreds and thousands of your hard-earned cash on gym memberships are long gone. Now, purchasing a portable weight bench is all the rage in the fitness community and rightfully so!
Why may you ask?
This collapsible weight bench equipment is perfect if you are a travel bug and need a quick workout in on-the-go, or, even perfect to set up this foldable bench press in your basement/garage gym for an at-home exercise!
So, what’s so great about folding weight benches?
Collapsible weight benches as the name suggests, are compact, which means they can be moved anywhere, anytime. This fold-up workout bench is perfect for gym-rats who are looking to build upper body and lower body muscle mass while also ensuring their posture isn’t compromised during a workout. All in all, this gym equipment is guaranteed to tighten a jiggling core and melt away your muffin top in no time!
A research about muscle activation suggest that “strength coaches should consider choosing the free weight bench press over the Smith machine bench press because of its potential for greater upper-body muscular development.”pubmed.gov
In a Hurry? Check our Top Picks
Now that we have provided you with a brief explanation of what portable weight benches are, let’s move on to learning about the top 9 folding weight benches in the market!
How Did we Rate these Foldable Weight Benches
Our ratings are based on the following features:
- Foldable Design or how efficiently the bench can be folded
- Construction Quality
- Maximum Weight Capacity
- Customer Reviews from Amazon, Reddit, Official Sites, Google Reviews, and many more
In-Depth Analysis: Best Folding Weight Benches of 2021
If you want to know more about every folding weight bench, you can read our following in-depth research for each one.
Bowflex 4.1S Adjustable and Stowable Bench
The Bowflex 4.1S Stowable Bench provides a space-saving design with premium versatility, offering over 50% space maximization when not in use. Comes with 5 adjustable angles and a 550 lb. load capacity.
- Easy button, click, lift, and go process to stow bench and save space when not in use
- The bench has an easily foldable design offering over 50% space maximization when not in use
- 5 adjustable angles for the perfect incline or decline
- Features a 550 lb. load capacity and a removable leg
- Heavy-duty steel construction
- Some people had some issues with missing screws in the box
The 4.1s bench from Bowflex has a premium construction quality with the guaranty of the Bowflex brand. We expected that the price would be a negative point but this bench has a really great value and comes usually with a price under $300. It comes with the Easy button: Just click, lift, and go process to stow bench and save space when not in use.
It is constructed with heavy-duty steel which can accommodate a weight of 550 lb (User weight not to exceed 300 lbs. and lift load not exceed 250 lbs). You can choose from 5 adjustable angles for the perfect incline or decline (-20°, 0°, 30°, 45°, 90°).
FLYBIRD 2020 Version Adjustable Bench
With its triangular structure and sturdy bench frame, it can support 620lbs of weight. It can easily accommodate up to 6.2′ user height.
- The bench has an easily foldable design
- Comfortable non-slip leather lining with foam padding
- Non-slip foot and fast bolt offers excellent safety
- 7 adjustable backrest, 3 seat and 2 footpad positions to get desired inclined position
- It has easy 30 seconds setup
- Some tall users complain about the shorter backrest
The FLYBIRD weight bench is long-lasting fitness equipment that’s designed for home and gym workouts. This 49.2″ x 15.7″ x 44.5″ bench has a more robust support frame as it is constructed from commercial heavy-duty thickening steel pipes with automatic bolts that makes it durable and ideal for strength training and conditioning exercises.
Thanks to the triangular structure and sturdy bench frame, it has 620lbs of weight-bearing capacity and can easily accommodate up to 6.2′ user height, yet the bench weighs only 31.8lbs. The bench is foldable; it folds compact to 30.3″ x 16″ x 9″ dimensions for easy portability. No matter if you have a limited home gym area; it allows easy storage anywhere in the corner or under the bed after a workout, saving more 80% of space.
Not only is the bench easy to carry, but it also has a simple and quick setup time of 30 seconds without any assembly required. To fit the needs of your full-body workout, the FLYBIRD weight bench offers 7 adjustable backrest positions at 95, 129, 143, 157, 180, 190, and 215 degrees decline or incline that is great for many different exercises. Besides, the bench has 3 seat positions while footpad has 2 adjustable spots for your comfort and to prevent neck and backaches.
Another fantastic feature is its automatic safety lock; a fast bolt allows you to adjust position quickly and locks it for safety. Its most comfortable upholstery is remarkable, the bench’s seat and back have premium black leather non-slip covering with 2″ soft-feel foam padding on the inside for a comfy feel during a workout. A must-have for all home gyms!
SuperMax Foldable Weight Bench
Thanks to its 12-position adjustable backrest settings, users can adjust the equipment to a -20 degree decline or an 80-degree incline.
- Offers sturdy bench support without any room for rocking motions, squeaking, or wobbling
- Comes with three detachable and three-position adjustable leg hold-down bar
- Offers leg stabilizers to prevent rocking and swaying during a workout
- Is easily folded for storage and can be stowed away both vertically and horizontally
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Users may need extra seat padding if they are facing back issues
- Can only be used for indoor workouts
With dimensions of 59 x 23.5 x 48.5 inches and weighing in at 35 pounds, this folding weight bench can hold up to a whopping 800 pounds of weight capacity. Even though it poses itself with quite the slender design and structure, the Supermax fold-up workout bench offers a bench width of 9 ½ inches at the bottom and a width of 7 ¼ inches at the top, hence creating a triangular support structure.
The reason why fitness instructors recommend this portable bench press is that its seating is adjustable in which users can do multiple upper body workouts at varying degrees.
Fitness enthusiasts with a height of 6 feet to 6’4 inches can use this equipment to perform a variety of workouts such as barbell presses, shoulder presses, leg raises, resistance band training, and many other types of exercises without jeopardizing their back’s posture. Thanks to its 12-position adjustable backrest settings, users can adjust the equipment to a -20 degree decline or an 80-degree incline depending on what sort of workout they are going to perform.
XMark Adjustable FID Weight Bench XM-7604
One of the most powerful weight benches. The XMark Weight Bench has a 1500-pound weight capability with dimensions of 52.5 x 22.5 x 50.5 inches.
- Extra thick padding of durable vinyl material for sweat and tear resistance
- Sturdy foothold down bar to provide stability during exercise
- Built-in movable wheels which ensure easy storage & portability
- Pain-free dual back support with the help of 2″ x 3″ tubing on bench rails
- Extra tools needed for assembly
- It cannot be folded down flat and must be turned upwards when kept in a closet
- Like Bowflex 5.1s, some users found the gap between the seat and the bench (in a flat position) a little bigger than it should be
Probably the mightiest weight bench on our list so far, the XMark Weight Bench has a 1500-pound weight capacity with dimensions of 52.5 x 22.5 x 50.5 inches. The weight of the bench itself is 77 pounds and offers exceptional comfort and matchless durability when compared to other weight benches on the market.
But that’s not the only impressive thing, this bad boy caters seven adjustable bench positions and comes attached with a posture-safe 3-position seat setting to ward off any back and neck pains while working out. Benches can be declined to perform military presses while the seat can be adjusted to a flat or slightly inclined position.
Bowflex 5.1s Weight Bench
The SelectTech 5.1s Stowable Bench is Bowflex’s top of the line adjustable weight bench with six different adjustment angles for amazing versatility including flat, 30°, 45°, 60° 90°, and -20° decline.
- 600 pounds of weight
- Adjustable to 6 different positions with a 17 and 90-degree incline
- Sturdy machinery
- The gap found between the seat and the bench when in a flat position has been bothersome for users
The Bowflex Adjustable Bench comes in 3 models; Bowflex 3.1, Bowflex 5.1, and Bowflex 5.1S. The Bowflex 3.1 is currently a discontinued model. It shares similarities with the Bowflex 5.1 in the sense that both these weight benches have adjustable seat settings, provide leg extension and curls and can hold up to an astounding 480 pounds of weight.
The Bowflex comes with removable legs hold for when you want to decline your seat for exercising different areas of your muscles. Using this machine, fitness fanatics can build strength and bulk their muscle’s mass by performing various workouts all from inside the comfort of their own home.
Bowflex’s 3.1 Adjustable Bench offers a seat adjustment of 4 positions whereas Bowflex 5.1 and 5.1S provide a seat adjustment of 6 positions which aims to correct and stabilize the user’s back and neck posture. The best part is, these models offer a variety of more than 30 exercises that can be performed by users using other fitness equipment such as dumbbells, resistance bands, ankle weights, and barbells.
Related: You can see, also, our super-detailed guide with the comparison of Bowflex 3.1, Bowflex 5.1, and Bowflex 5.1s adjustable weight benches!
Steelbody Deluxe Folding Weight Bench
It is manufactured in China with heavy-duty steel and offers a maximum weight capacity of 800lbs. The exceptional build quality of this model does not wobble at all.
- The weight bench is perfect for strength training
- The maximum weight capacity is 800lbs (body weight+ lifting weight)
- It features an exceptional build quality as it is manufactured using heavy-duty steel
- The bench is adjustable, with six back-rest positions and five-seat positions.
- The assembly is stress-free and does not consume much time
- The bench is not suitable for ab crunches as it does not decline
- It is not the best option for people taller than 6 feet
The 47 x 45 x 25.5 inches Steelbody utility weight bench is a strength training equipment supporting full-body workout. You can enjoy a diverse range of exercises, including arm lifting, back training, ab workouts, and free weight programs. It helps in working your entire body from the chest, shoulders, core, to upper and lower limb, paving the way for perfectly balanced muscle development.
Featuring a sturdy design, this durable comes with a 10-year manufacture warranty. It is manufactured in China with heavy-duty steel and offers a maximum weight capacity if 800lbs. The exceptional build quality of this model does not wobble at all.
Not only is this durable, but it also scores high in terms of comfort. The 2-inch padding with faux canvas vinyl covering adds to the overall comfort of the workout. It is wider than most of its competitors, which makes it ideal for pressing. You can even adjust the bench pads as per the type of workout. The back-rest pad’s position can be altered according to the fitness needs, and you can choose from the following options; military, incline, and flat. If you think the seat pad is not suitable for a specific workout, you can adjust it into five positions to accommodate the back-rest pad positions using the simple to use slider pin.
Talking about portability, this one by Steelbody comes with built-in wheels. You can easily move this beast around the house, without stressing about its weight. The wheels are of exceptional quality and roll on the floor smoothly.
Adding to the overall features of this bench is the ease of assembly. As compared to other folding weight benches, this one takes a few minutes to put together. Every part of this bench comes with accurate labeling, and the instructions that it comes with are perfectly understandable. You do not have to be a tech-freak to put this weight bench together.
FLYBIRD Multi-Purpose Bench
To add comfort to your exercise, the seat and backrest have premium, wear-resistant, non-slip leather upholstery that will last for years.
- Solid steel frame construction makes it sturdy
- The bench has adjustable backrest and seat
- It folds up compact for convenient storage in closed or under bed
- The leather upholstery is wear-resistant with thick foam pads
- This bench is not suitable for people over 5.9′ height
The FLYBIRD adjustable bench features a unique triangular structure from heavy-duty commercial-grade 1.5mm steel pipes known for its durability and sturdiness. That’s why this bench can support up to 500lbs of user’s weight with excellent stability and no trouble. This 47″ × 16″ × 47.5’’bench is an excellent system for saving space as it folds up nicely to 31.5″ x 12.6″ x 11.8″. Thus, you can carry or store anywhere in your home conveniently, saving 70% more space than traditional weight benches. Unfolding and setup require no assembly at all; it only takes 30 seconds. The 32lbs bench comes with 28.3″ long cushioned backrest with 6 adjustable positions ranging from fully-seated to a flat position.
What’s more, it also has 4 positions for the seat with a quick and straightforward locking method. Designed for a full-body workout, the bench is ideal for up to 5.9′ user height. To add comfort to your exercise, the seat and backrest have premium, wear-resistant, non-slip leather upholstery that will last for years. High-density 1.8″ thick yet soft foam cushioning offers head, neck, and back protection while you workout.
Furthermore, foot comfort isn’t compromised, as the bench features full-cushioned anti-slip foam foot support for a more comfortable experience. Another notable feature is the stability and safety; the bottom tube of the foot has enlarged rubber coating that prevents slipping.
The FLYBIRD adjustable bench is a stable firm platform to exercise on without shaking around.
If you are interested in buying a portable weight bench but don’t know where to get started, look through our buying guide to help you get just the right equipment to achieve your fitness goals.
Features to Consider before buying a Collapsible Weight Bench
- Positions: Choosing a portable weight bench is relatively easy when you know the exact number of positions you will be needed for your workouts. Checking out the number of positions a bench can offer is crucial as the more number of positions a bench provides, the more flexibility you will have in your workouts. You want to select a weight bench that will give you a more varied range of motion during a workout and allow you to perform a multitude of exercises.
- Weight-Lifting Goals: When on the lookout for a foldable weight bench, knowing how much weight you intend to lift is vital. This is a crucial point to keep in mind as many portable weight benches don’t offer a specific weight capacity which could thereby put you at risk for back and neck injuries. If you are quite the heavy-lifter and pick over 150lbs of weight while the weight bench can hold up to 100lbs, you are taxing your body by an extra 50lbs of weight without proper support. Also, if you continue to lift heavy despite the bench’s incapacity to hold a specific weight limit, not only are you putting your body’s posture at a detrimental risk, you are over-burdening your weight bench which more likely than not might break or get severely damaged.
- Your Size: Individuals who have towering figures might face difficulty in squeezing onto a weight bench that is failing to accommodate their stature. If you are 6″- 6.5″, you may want to go for weight benches that have longer, broader, and sturdier benches and seats to ensure a comfortable and injury-free workout session.
- Budget: Whenever on the hunt for a product, you want to jot down your budget range so that you know which options are available. Also, try not to get bewildered by a weight bench’s impressive features such as its color, structure, and design to get you side-tracked from your budget.
Remember, glitz and glam isn’t everything – if you are someone who rarely works out on a weight bench, purchasing a crazy expensive weight bench does not sound like a bright idea. Push the looks to the side, and focus on why you need to buy this product and what you want out of it.
Benefits of Folding Weight Benches
- Support: Foldable weight benches are the perfect fit for those individuals who wish to correct their posture while also targeting muscle groups for a defined and upright physique. Weight benches offer seating and bench adjustments to suit the desired number of reps you want to perform without making your muscles tense up during exercise.
- Many weight benches in the market come with extra-thick vinyl padding to provide your neck, back, core, and legs the comfort they need and are suitable for individuals who tend to have back and neck issues.
- Efficient Muscle-Targeting: Weight benches aid users in performing a variety of workouts without needing much extra equipment. After all, the one thing that makes all the difference is the incline and decline settings which target different muscle groups in shredding fat build-up. So depending on what muscle you want to work more on, you can switch from one degree setting to another to isolate a particular muscle.
- Flexibility: With many benches available on the market, you can try a wide range of exercises in different positions to get you the desired physique. Crunches, sit-ups, shoulder presses, hammer curls, and oblique side-planks are all possible with weight benches. In fact, you will never need another at-home fitness equipment considering how many exercises you can get out of one machine. All in all, weight benches are the perfect investment for when you want to make the most out of one piece of equipment.
- Durability: Weight benches, like many other fitness machines, are purchased once-in-a-lifetime since they are on the steeper end of the budget axis. Therefore, no one wants to invest their money on a product that will break down and get easily damaged within a few months of purchase.
- The great news is, weight benches are built using heavy-duty and high-quality steel; meaning they are not only sturdy pieces of equipment, but they are also super long-lasting. Check out weight benches with sturdy and durable frames to ensure they can carry heavy weights during a workout and have extra padding for enhanced head, back, and neck support.
How do you fold a workout bench?
This can depend on the specific bench that you will buy but it usually isn’t very different from bench to bench. Here you can see a video with some instructions:
What are the most popular workouts you can do with a bench and what muscles do you work with every one
Chest press, or bench press as they are also referred to as is by far a fitness-fan favorite and it is understandable why. They are easy to perform on a weight bench and drive incredible results in working and shredding your upper body to its maximum.
Chest presses are perfect for those individuals who wish to strengthen their pectoral muscles, activate their triceps, and sharpen their deltoids to show-off their toned and slender arms to the world!
Ever waved at someone and had your jiggly arms wave you back? Well, that’s what reverse flyes are for; to melt away arm and stubborn back fat once and for all. Reverse flyes look like you are about to set off like an eagle for its hunt due to its flight-like movements; but instead of a swift take-off, you are flying with a set of weights to tighten your triceps, biceps, and upper and middle back muscle groups.
Whether you want to banish arm fat or improve your range of motion, reverse flyes are the appropriate workout to perform. To start, face forward with your core against the bench on a slight decline, pick a set of weights, and lift your elbows out in ‘flying’ motion.
If you have ever rowed a boat, you might be familiar with the movements and just how much you work those lats and traps in the process. Rows are all-encompassing in the sense that they target various muscle groups such as your mid-back, upper back, forearms, triceps, and biceps. Due to its inclusivity, rows are a number-one favorite because you get to target several areas in one shot while simultaneously refining your posture.
Place one knee and one hand on your weight bench with the other hand lifting the weight, and slowly pull in your dumbbell up to your waist. This will not only work your upper body but also work your hip flexors to snatch that waistline in.
The article has been researched & compiled by the Editorial F5F Team, a group of experienced fitness & health writers.